Creating Local Economies



 #conversationswithself You are the miracle you are looking for! Silibaziso Mazobere reminded me of the richness of resources that exists in Zimbabwe. We have some gorgeous terracotta. I am a huge believer in using local materials and not importing things because if you buy local you create huge industries. People rush to buy Italian tiles, and don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Italian tiles. What Mexico and Italy have taught me is that when you use the resources you have in your environment you develop an industry. More than that the art evolves and what starts off as a cottage industry grows into a huge business. 


In my discussion with my little sister Sili who is making terracotta tiles, I was reminded of my love of buying local. When we built our Zimbabwean home in Ruzawi we tried to ensure that we bought local. Our tiling for the kitchen and bathrooms was terracotta made in Melfort, 30kms from our home, we bought terracotta lampshades, we also used wood from Hunyani timber in Marondera and thatching grass from the women in Marondera who sell thatching grass, and steel from our local hardware store. We bought our kitchen tops as black granite from Mutoko, which is exported. The artist was my ex-husband Rukariro Katsande who sourced the materials and laid the tiles. Look closely at the kitchen mural.


In Mexico and Italy they use their local materials to make beautiful and colourful murals. I work in development and we spend hours discussing how to get people out of poverty. I live my beliefs. I experiment with economic concepts that work. 


If you buy local you create an ecosystem that grows businesses. Do you know that most millionaires in America are homegrown business persons. We spend a lot of time looking outward for solutions. That’s why we fail. 


Look inward. Encourage your local farmer. Become a constant customer for your farm produce. Create beautiful spaces in your home with local materials. Buy local and you will create ecosystems of creativity. Everything you need is made in Zimbabwe. I buy art from local artists. Our furniture was Mozambican hardwood which until today exists. My children and my children’s children will sit in a hardwood chair that was handmade by a local artist. And in 100 years it will sell for a fortune because it was well made and antique. Antiques are handmade creations from yesteryear. 


We’re crying about economic downturns. Stop looking to the outside world to save you. Walk next door and support your local artisan, farmer, fashion designer, butcher, musician, sculptor and before you know it the outside world will come to you because what you have is unique.


Buy local. My clothes are unique creations because I support African tailors. I get African caterers to make my food. My 50th birthday party all catered by Agnes Nhliziyo. She still does catering. Cakes by Tendai Banda all based in Marondera. Pork from Augustine Chitepo and his wife Melody Chitepo runs a local hardware store in Marondera. Art from Barry Lungu hanging in my home in Rome. Art from Ras Silas Motse South African artist. Pumla Bolani is the best and only acupuncturist in Southern Africa why are you traveling to India or China when you have homegrown experts. Sisa Mthunzie best Safari operator and storyteller/self taught anthropologist ever. I had the holiday of a lifetime. Boitumelo Gaobodiwe best private island getaway ever in Otse Botswana. I have just given you a list of artisans who are good at what they do. 


Buy fruit in season from your roadside sellers. Protect your indigenous fruit. Ensure that your bees can pollinate and make honey. You are the miracle you are looking for not the World Bank or Breton Woods.


Just buy local

Comments

Popular Posts